Pages

Saturday, January 31, 2015

A Nothing Day

Today was special. Brian went fishing and the kids and I got to relax at home after a long wonderful, but too busy, week. One of those weeks that I was sure...we did too much. Today we did "nothing". No school, no schedule, no intentional anything, yet it was a peaceful happy day. The ones I live for. This week, in addition to our normal school, work, and housework, we had two dance lessons, two swimming lessons, three play dates, and choir/bells. I think that may be a run on sentence and it was definitely too much on the kids. I had more tears this week from them than I've seen in a long time. That's how I know. Although everything we did was fun, the tears and difficulties in between let me know I over scheduled them. Lesson learned.

Today when I woke up I told myself I wouldn't interfere, if I didn't have to, with whatever they wanted to do. I guess I was apologizing to them and in need of recuperating myself. Today I watched my five year olds from afar, unless they wanted or needed me. Wow is all I can say. It was beautiful.

This morning we had biscuits with jelly for breakfast. After the first one I made them, I let them go back for seconds and thirds while I drank my coffee on the couch. They buttered their biscuits and added jelly. They poured their milk. Then they played outside for a while... Silas and I worked on laundry. When they were done they came in and put the tv on. They turned on this kids crafting show can't remember the name but it's cute. After a short episode they were ready to craft. Honestly crafting is not my thing. I like painting and drawing. Construction paper, googly eyes, pom poms, nope. But I have it all. And as part of my let the kids do what they want nothing Saturday, I pulled it all out all over the table. Scissors, glue, glitter, paint, paper, etc.

I asked them to keep it on the table. And they did. After about 30 minutes they were really settled in so I went to check out their progress. Eden was working on a cute figure of some sort and Pryscilla - started making Valentine's cards. Way to know your holiday girl! I didn't hear from them for an hour. Then they were ready to show me.
Eden had made a beautiful glitter picture. It was blue and green. Very earthy and sparkly. Pryscilla blew me away just a bit with her cut out heart that had it's own stand. Very creatively designed! They continued crafting while I made sausage wraps for lunch. I set their plate next to them to eat whenever they felt like it. As I walked away and into the other room I heard them praying. After Silas was finished I went to put him down for a nap. Pryscilla wanted the Beatrix Potter books down from the shelf to look through. When I got back from getting Silas down she had chosen two and asked me to read them. The first was Two Bad Mice and the other Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle.

Eden couldn't get comfortable or find the spot she wanted to sit, before we read, she began to get frustrated, tears almost, and then she caught herself. She asked me to hold on. She came back with three blankets and positioned them all over herself until they were just right. We gladly waited until she said okay. We read the two stories all the way through commenting and laughing as we read. I was sure looking up to Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle as my laundry piles had grown this week. After stories the girls went back to crafting and I took a nap.

I woke up to barking dogs, giggles, and Brian's return. Him and Eric cut up the fish they caught for the fish fry. I ran to the store while the girls rode bikes. When I got back I found them in mismatched costumes and crazy socks. Each with multiple hair bows. Silas was awake. I needed to make one more trip to the store, so I took Silas with me and the twins hung out with the guys. When I got back from that trip they were playing outside. We all had fish, listened to music, the kids visited with us in between playing and baths. After our friends left, Silas and Brian went to bed. I asked the girls should we just clean up this huge crafting mess tomorrow? Honestly that was my plan. Their answer... no mom we should really do it now. We will help. Yeah!! Habit training paying off right before my eyes. They helped and did...pretty much all of it. I swept the floor. What a team. I couldn't believe they were still impressing me at 9:30 at night. 2 hrs past their normal bedtime. Proud mom here.

Today they asked for two big cookies each throughout the day, it may have been three...and I said sure every time. Tonight at 9:30 they asked if it would be okay to brush their teeth in the morning because they were very tired...and I said sure...just this once. We had no tears today, so many lovely smiles, and no arguing from anyone. No shouting, no whining, and lots of sharing. A gift to watch my children growing in so many ways. Happiness and peace. Every day can't be a "nothing" day, but I am sure looking forward to more of them.





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...