Pages

Monday, January 25, 2016

Comfort and Play

Getting ready for bed and just noticed this grouping. These items keep me going and bring comfort to me each day. My planner, a favorite CM book, my commonplace journal, my binder, my computer, and most of all my picture of Mary, from my Mema, watching over it all. What a comfort to have the Blessed Mother's hand in everything we do. I'm so thankful Mater Amabilis weaves together our Catholic faith with Charlotte Mason's philosophy to create such a lovely curriculum. These past few days I've been able to find the quiet I've so desperately needed. They've been quiet moments between the hustle and bustle of our days. With the children! When I have these days I wish I could bottle it up and pull it out for the stormy days! That's not possible but at least I can be truly thankful for the peace when it's here.


-----+-----

We're almost finished with our second term of Kindergarten and it's flying by. We've accomplished much and I'll share that next week. Term one was fresh and new, two has been both difficult and beautiful. Difficult due to our busy holiday schedule and beautiful because of Advent and Christmas. I think our last term is going to he fun and rich.




I find myself in somewhat of a struggle everyday to provide my children with just the right amount of book time and playtime. I'm so blessed to have chosen a philosophy of education that supports me! Short lessons with limited twaddle allowing plenty of time outdoors. Charlotte Mason knew what she was talking about!! My school age twins are 6 years old and my son will turn 3 soon. These days are just so fleeting. The days for imagining, the days for pretending, the days of innocent fun and creative play. I adore more than anything watching them run, build, create, act out, and play together. I see their minds growing and learning in amazing ways. I am teaching them to read, write, and count. I am teaching them about children in other countries and people in history. I am teaching them about art, poetry, music, and nature. I am reading the best children's literature to them daily. Most importantly I am teaching them about their Creator and their soul. I am providing a "feast" for them the best that I can. Some days are more beautiful than others. It's all important; however, right now I feel the Lord is highlighting that true play, uninterrupted and with limited interference, is the most important part of their education. It's a gift to be able to accomplish a full day of school and still give them hours in the day to play. 

Today was almost perfect and they played outside for hours. My heart was happy. They are still little, so I will let them be little. I'll let them work a little, play as much as they can, and I will watch them 
flourish.





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...